jcbanner

Home     About     Membership     JCGS Store Merchandise     Resources     Education     Contact Us!

   
1876 Valle Township
   

Valle Township

Members of the Vallé family after whom are named the Vallé Mines and Vallé township, were among the earliest settlers of Ste. Genevieve. Captain Charles Vallé commanded a company of sixty men raised in Ste. Genevieve, to render aid to St. Louis, at the time (1780), an attack by the Indians was apprehended at this latter place. Francois Vallé was commandant of the post at Ste. Genevieve from 1788 to 1803. The Vallés early interested themselves in lead mining, and opened up the mines which bear their name.

Vallé Township occupies the extreme southern part of Jefferson County. With the exception of along Big River and Joachim Creek, the surface is upland and mostly covered with timber. Milton and Austin Baker, were early settlers on Big River. Just below the mouth of Mineral Fork, on the east side of the river, at an early date, lived William Mothershead.

David Stong came to the County from Pennsylvania, and entered land in sections twenty-four, and elsewhere, of township thirty-nine, range three. James Donnell was an early settler of the township, and located at what was known as the Gum Spring, but removed subsequently to Plattin Township. On the Joachim, a mile above De Soto, lived a family by the name of Williams, and Ammon Knighton, once Sheriff of the County, resided on the same stream where is now the town of De Soto. A Mr. Butler was an earlier resident of the vicinity of De Soto. The other settlements throughout the township were generally made at a late date in comparison with those of the older parts of the County. Quoted from An Illustrated Historical Atlas Map Jefferson County, MO (Brink, McDonough & Co. 1876) p. 18