jcbanner

Home     About     Membership     JCGS Store Merchandise     Resources     Education     Contact Us!

   
1876 Rock Township
 
 

Rock Township

Rock Township embraces the whole of congressional township forty-two, range five, and the fractional township forty-two, range six; forty-three range six; and forty-three range five. The Meramec River is its northeast boundary separating it from St. Louis County. In this township are included the early settlements on the Grand Glaize, Rock Creek and the tributaries of the Meramec. One Glaize Creek, the earliest settlers, beginning at the mouth of the creek, and ascending the stream, were men named Patton, John Stuart, Samuel Wilson, William Jones, Samuel Price, Phillip Roberts and William McMillan. Patton lived at the mouth of the creek. John Stuart was the owner of the springs at the present town of Sulphur Springs, and McMillan lived up the creek, a short distance below where Antonia now is. Rock Creek had also a number of early settlers. Where the town of Kimmswick now is, John Hilterbrand was the first settler, and he was succeeded by Matthias Brindley. Farther up the creek lived Elisha Baker, a man named Talant, and John Wilson. These settlers mainly owned land and had permanent improvements.

In Rock Township, in all probability, was made the first permanent settlement ever effected in Jefferson County. In 1774, or about that time, John Hilterbrand made a settlement on Saline Creek, about three miles form Fenton on the Meramec River. Salt works were erected, and salt made near Salt Springs in the year 1775. The close vicinity of this part of the County to St. Louis, made it the scene of some of the earliest settlements.

The township is traversed both by the St. Louis, Iron Mountain and Southern railroad, and the Hillsboro and Le May Ferry gravel-road, and no part of the County is therefore more advantageously situated, with respect to nearness to market. Part of the township lies within fifteen miles of St. Louis, to which city communication is made easy by excellent macadamized roads. The beautiful building situations to be found on the Mississippi, and on the line of railroad, will doubtless render this part of the County at no distant day, a favorite locality for suburban residences of St. Louis business men.

Quoted from An Illustrated Historical Atlas Map Jefferson County, MO (Brink, McDonough & Co. 1876) p. 18