jcbanner

Home     About     Membership     JCGS Store Merchandise     Resources     Education     Contact Us!

 
1876 Joachim Township
 

Joachim Township

On Survey 420, where James F. Foster now resides, the first settler was Bartholomew Herrington. He located here in the fall of 1799. His son, Joshua Herrington, was born near Harrisonville, in Monroe County, Illinois in the year 1800, and came to the County a month or so after his birth. He has since living all the time in Jefferson County, and is now a resident of Pevely. In Mr. Herrington's early recollection the country where Pevely now is was all prairie. Stumps of trees were found however, here and there, and marks as though the timber had at one time been destroyed by a hurricane or other similar cause. On Sandy Creek among the first settlers in Mr. Herrington's recollection was John Johnston, who lived where Daniel Douglas now resides; next above him was Charles Gill; Samuel Lambert lived on what is now known as the Spalding farm. The next house was that of Gabriel Cobb, standing on land now owned by Thomas Allen. David Biles was a mile above Cobb. These settlers were living in the localities mentioned about the year 1810.

Captain William Moss, grandfather of sheriff T.B. Moss, was an early settler on Sandy. He came to Jefferson County about 1797. On the Spalding place mentioned above with Samuel Lambert as an early settler, Benjamin Johnston, the father of Gabriel J. Johnston, formerly lived. Gabriel J. Johnston was born on survey 1940 in the year 1802. On the south side of the Joachim Creek, where the stream is now crossed by the bridge near Herculaneum, John Conner was the first settler. Above Conner there was no one living in Mr. Herrington's earliest recollection till at Bailey Station. Here Frederick Conner, brother to John, occupied with his cabin the site of the present residence of John M. Bailey. Samuel Hamman was a neighbor of Frederick Conner's. A man named Comstock was living at the mouth of the Plattin, and was the first settler there, but he moved away previous to 1810. James Foster came form Ste. Genevieve County in 1799, and settled a mile northeast of Bailey Station, having received a head right for six hundred and forty acres of land. His neighbor was John Stuart, who came from Licking County, Kentucky, in 1799. In this vicinity eight or ten American families had settled, and then the country had no inhabitants ( with the exception of Herrington where Pevely now is) to the waters of the Glaize.

On survey 932 near Pevely Michael Null was the first settler. The names already mentioned were among the earliest permanent settlers in their respective localities, owned land, and to some extent at least had improved it. The original settlers were in many cases succeeded by others, who in turn gave way to their successors. A number of names might be mentioned of men who resided in the township for a time, and then removed to other localities. The old town of Herculaneum afterward arose, and for many years was the County seat. The town was laid off by Moses Austin and Samuel Hammond. Austin afterward removed to Texas. He obtained a permit from the Mexican Government (Texas then being a province of Mexico) to colonize Texas. He laid off the town of Austin, and at that place his death occurred. It was thought that it would become a place of great commercial importance, and among the prominent families of the County who once were connected with it history were the Fletchers and Rankins, who resided there at the period of its greatest prosperity. Near Hematite families of the names of Null and Hendrickson were early settlers. The first Sunday School ever organized in the County is said to have been conducted in the neighborhood of Bailey Station.

Quoted from An Illustrated Historical Atlas Map Jefferson County, MO (Brink, McDonough & Co. 1876) p. 18